Harry Potter as a series has taken over the world of literature and films and if this leak is right, then it might be on its way to cement its place in the world of video games. There have been video game adaptations of the films before but this leak teases at a completely new story.
Thanks to a leak on Reddit, the footage you see above is probably a teaser for an upcoming game set in the Harry Potter universe. The video does cut to black before what could have been the title of the game in an attempt to keep things under wraps but one thing is for certain, we’re getting a whole new experience into the world of Harry Potter. Here’s the game description as reported by the person who leaked the footage:
- Set in the 19th Century (1800’s) Wizarding World, this 3rd person open-world action RPG game centers around your character with unique abilities who has earned a late acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You are a newly arrived 5th-year student to Hogwarts that demonstrates a latent gift for magic with a unique ability to track and identify remnants of a potent ancient power.
- Upon arrival, strange events begin to materialize in the Forbidden Forest and trouble begins to brew within the castle walls. Together with Professor Elezar Fig, you embark on a journey through both familiar and never before seen locations to bring to light the truth behind these mysterious occurrences.
- On your quest, you will craft potions, master new spells, and discover fantastical beasts. You will battle Dark Wizards, Goblins, and other supernatural enemies and uncover the truth about your destiny – the Fate of the Wizarding World lies in your hands.
- Journey to Hogwarts to become one of 8 different Wizard types -Experience Hogwarts, make new friends, uncover new secrets, and change the fate of the Wizarding world.
- Experience a new magic system that creates countless possibilities to master magic.
- Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time, choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.
- Create your own witch or wizard, and experience an all-new story separate from the books or films.
The game will most likely feature a lot of death and destruction but it might be up to the player’s discretion since you will get to decide if you want to be good or evil. This means you will have access to a variety of lethal and non-lethal spells when in combat. A new magic system has also been spoken about which could probably mean you can hot switch between spells and even maybe chain multiple spells together for combos. Plus, destructible environments means you can use everything around you to your advantage if you’re a skilled wizard/witch. According to the description provided, you get to choose your house as well so get your Pottermore test done if you haven’t already while we wait for more information regarding this unannounced title.
As to why we feel the studio behind this game is Rocksteady Studio who are known for their Batman Arkham series, it’s pretty simple. Warner Bros. owns the rights for Harry Potter. Rocksteady Studio’s parent company is Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Do a bit of quick math and this could very well be the game Rocksteady has been working on since the release of Batman Arkham Knight in 2015. Not to mention, there have been a lot of job postings from Rocksteady for various positions. Many thought the upcoming game was a Justice League game but with this new leak, that might not be the case anymore.
As with all leaks, take this with a grain of salt, however, the footage does look very polished and for someone to go to such an extent to prank people would be a waste of time and talent.
UPDATE: The leaked video has been taken down due to a copyright claim by Warner Bros. This could prove the legitimacy of the video. Another interesting development is that it seems Avalanche Software, a studio who used to make Licensed games for Disney and were acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment last year might be the ones behind this game thanks to their Job Postings which focused on people with skills for Unreal Engine 4, RPG games and “a talented storyteller with a deep understanding of British culture and grammatical presentation”. Stay tuned because we will have more news regarding this soon with a proper breakdown of the Avalanche Software Job Postings and how it ties in with this game.
Looking for more news? Click here to catch up with the latest in the world of videogames and eSports and while you’re at it, why not become a member of the GamingMonk community to partake in discussions, tournaments and so much more.