There’s not been much regarding the next Grand Theft Auto title but according to a recent leak, we might have some details about the story and setting of the game. This leak comes thanks to u/JackOLantern1982.
If you’ve been wanting Vice City, you’re in luck because this is where the next Grand Theft Auto is rumoured to be set in. Besides that, there’s also a new location based on Rio De Janeiro and will also have a few missions in Liberty City.
You will play only as a single character in this, an upcoming wannabe drug-lord named Ricardo. The game will be set in the 70s-80s and might feature the music of that era.
Buildings will change-over-time and so will the vehicles in-game as time progresses. Older cars will also get more expensive and become vintage. Weather System is also important and phenomenons like Hurricanes and Floods will be present and will affect the game world.
The game is heavily inspired by Narcos and will feature “Chapters” like in Red Dead Redemption 2.
You won’t have a weapon wheel like in GTA V but will have only a few weapons on you like Max Payne. You will be able to carry your equipment in your car
The game won’t release for the Xbox One or PS4 and will be exclusive to next-gen consoles and PC. It’s rumoured release date is probably 3 or 4 years from now.
These rumours are pretty in-line with the leaks from 2018 which stated the same time-period and location but hinted at a female playable character. The leak does talk about a character named “Kaycee” who could be the female character leaked before.
You can read the full leak below.
- The next GTA title has been in development since 2012 (1 year before GTA 5 launched). Production didn’t actually pick up properly until mid 2015. Even then it was on ice while the teams focused on RDR2.
- It’s another Rockstar Worldwide Production, not just one or two studios, but all.
- Codename is PROJECT AMERICAS.
- Set in both Vice City and a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro, with some linear missions taking place in Liberty City (not open world), think Ludendorff in GTAV. Also been recently hearing about Cuba but I ain’t sure?
- Game will balance realism and arcade. WON’T be as realistic as RDR2.
- One playable protagonist this time. Male, not female, despite supposed leaks.
- Set in 1970s-1980s.
- You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named “Ricardo“. Another key character called “Kacey” is a part of the narrative. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new large South American area before making connections with big time drug lords and making your way up. Multiple cities. There will also be a GIANT prison which will play a part in the game.
- Will feature a “CHAPTER” system similar to a Tarantino flick or RDR2.
- Weather is a heavy focus. Hurricanes, floods, etc.
- Buildings change over the eras, vehicles too. This causes headaches apparently but they managed to nail a pipeline and get it working. So older, rare classic cars get more expensive as time progresses etc. Full economy. Next level.
- HEAVILY inspired by Netflix’s Narcos.
- They want to have an incredible 70s/80s soundtrack, but jury is still out on that one.
- A younger Martin Madrazo will make an appearance as will his father who is a big drug lord at the time. You do some missions for the Madrazo family involving hits on other gangs.
- Drug empire building is a mechanic similar to Vice City Stories but bigger. MUCH bigger. Think the GTAOnline system and dial it up to 10. There you have it.
- You can only have weapons on your person. No arsenal in your back pocket. Think RDR2 and Max Payne 3.
- Your personal vehicle (similar to GTA5 but can now change it) will be like your horse saddle in RDR2. All your equipment is stored in the trunk. Similar to LA Noire. You also store your body armour in the car. If you wear it, it appears, no longer just an invisible thing lol.
- There will be tons of subtitle reading. Think Max Payne 3 amounts. Because the characters speak the language they’re native to. Very immersive. Like watching an episode of Narcos. Whenever you’re in South America, don’t expect to hear much English. Vice City however is a mix of everything. Mostly English though.
- Last bit of narrative info, it will discuss topics such as HIV and the immigration crisis of the time. A fictional version of Fidel Castro etc. [REDACTED Red Dead Redemption 2 Spoiler]
- Next Gen only. Not PS4/XB1.
- Game is now their primary focus, alongside another title (which I believe to be Bully 2).
- Game is still in Pre-Alpha so names, locations, details could and probably will change.
- No ETA on a release date.
Looking for more news? Click here to catch up with the latest in the world of videogames and eSports and while you’re at it, why not become a member of the GamingMonk community to partake in discussions, tournaments and so much more.