XCOM creator’s new strategy game due out in June 2019.
The studio said that Microsoft provided the resources needed to develop an Xbox One version, which will be on Xbox Game Pass when it launches.
A PlayStation 4 version is not currently planned, but the developer has clarified that it does not have “any form of console exclusive deal with Microsoft or anyone else.”
Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:
Phoenix Point is the new strategy game from the creator of the original X-COM series. It features turn based tactics and world based strategy in a fight against a terrifying, alien menace.
- A Mutating Alien Threat – The Pandoravirus can mutate living forms, and it can incorporate DNA from multiple species and clone them rapidly. You will face an alien threat that mutates and evolves new forms in response to your tactics. Our procedural generation system for the aliens can generate a huge variety of challenges and surprises for you on the battlefield.
- Turn-Based, Squad-Based Battles – Each mission will require you to deploy a squad of four or more soldiers, sometimes accompanied by aerial or ground based drones. Battles are turn based, with overwatch and return fire providing a great level of interaction. Soldiers have a willpower stat as well as endurance. Will points are used to spend on special abilities and strenuous physical or mental exertion.
- The Geoscape is Reborn – The Geoscape gives you a strategic view of the world situation. From here you plan all your operations, construction, research and missions. Exploration is an important initial objective. You must attempt to make contact with havens, discover scavenging sites and locate special Phoenix Project sites. You can monitor the thick microbial mist rolling in from the sea which represents an increased threat of alien activity.
- Intricate and Challenging Boss Battles – You will also face intense boss fights against large monsters. Monsters may have multiple abilities for attack, defense, generating mist and spawning larvae. You will need to use body-part targeting to progressively disable their abilities.
- Deep and Extensive Soldier Development Customization – Your soldiers gain experience through battles and training in specialized facilities. There are extensive skill trees for each class of soldier. Skill knowledge is developed from research and interaction with other human factions through trading, alliances or conflict.
- A Vast Array of Weapons and Equipment – There is a large variety of weapons and equipment based on various technologies – some old, some new, and some quite alien. Each human faction has their own tech which you can acquire through trade or conflict. Through your own research you will be able to combine and develop unique technologies.
- Procedural, Destructible Environments – The many different battle locations include havens with faction specific facilities and architecture, and scavenging sites, such as abandoned military bases and factories. Our mission system generates battle layouts based on the facilities and structures located at havens, phoenix bases and alien bases. Everything is potentially destructible.
- Diverse and Dynamic Missions – There are a great many types of missions and objectives, often based on interactions with the other human factions. Havens will frequently request assistance fighting off alien incursions, but sometimes you will be asked to intervene in a conflict between the human factions. You will get involved in kidnaps, rescues, assassinations, sabotage, infiltration, haven takeovers and base defense missions. You will need to find out what happened to the Phoenix organisation, which involves remote locations and some missions with an archaeological aspect. Then there are the assaults on alien bases and the giant alien land walkers.